BEFORE YOU HIRE ANY ATTORNEY TO HANDLE YOUR CHILD CUSTODY AND/OR CHILD SUPPORT MATTER DOWNLOAD OUR FREE CHILD CUSTODY AND/OR CHILD SUPPORT SURVIVAL KIT HERE. In choosing your legal representation and preparing your case for court, you MUST ask the “right” questions and properly collect your evidence! Save time and money by preparing your case BEFORE you see any attorney.
We are a boutique child custody and child support law firm serving Atlanta, Georgia, and surrounding Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Douglas, Bartow, Clayton, Henry, Gwinnett and Paulding Counties. Our practice focuses solely on child custody and child support disputes and matters that touch them such as divorce, paternity, legitimation, contempt/enforcement of visitation and custody order, modification of custody, restraining orders/protective orders and adoption. By working only in these areas, we are able to devote ourselves 100% to seeking what is in the best interests of your child. We are not a firm that takes any kind of case and learns everything for the first time after taking your fee. We know child custody litigation.
At the Douglas Law Group, we understand, firsthand, your challenges with child support, child custody and visitation. Founded by a single mother forced to juggle the pressures of work, motherhood, family and career, our goal is to make your life easier by lightening the load and providing you with detailed information about the process.
Child Support in Georgia
In Georgia, child support is calculated by a mathematical algorithm. The calculation of child support is based on the income of both parties. If one parent is granted primary physical custody, then typically the other parent will have to make child support payments. Determining child support can be complex, especially if one parent is self-employed or both parents are wage earners. Because this process is complex, it is important you work with a lawyer who is experienced and knowledgeable of law to ensure the award of child support is fair.
If your family’s needs change after time, you may be able to make child support modifications. Circumstances that may constitute a child support modification can include:
- If one parent is promoted
- If one parent loses a job
- When the child’s needs drastically change — due to medical or other special circumstances
- As day care or health care costs change
- When one parent relocates
If you have a child custody or visitation dispute, contact us to learn more about how we can help you resolve it.
- Adoption: If you are going to adopt a child, we can assist you in petitioning the court for the adoption.
- Custody and Visitation: We can help you seek a custody and visitation agreement during divorce proceedings that promotes your child’s best interests.
- Modification of Custody and/or Visitation: We can help you modify an existing order that no longer fits your family’s needs.
- Contempt: If the other parent is refusing to abide by the Court Order, we can assist you in seeking enforcement through an action for Contempt.
- Paternity: By bringing a paternity petition, we can help your child receive child support and other benefits to which they are entitled.
- Legitimation: Legitimation allows the child of an unmarried couple to inherit from the father and grants the father legal rights. However, Legitimation is not ALWAYS in the best interest of the child, so we can assist you in defending an action for legitimation.
- Grandparents Rights: We assist Grandparents in seeking visitation of grandchildren.
- Domestic Violence: Sometimes it is necessary to get a protective order. We can help protect you and your child if you are being abused, harassed, or threatened.
Contact us today to setup a free telephone consultation and/or a $75 one-hour pre-litigation strategy session. Because we care about assisting you and fighting for what is best for your child, we offer weekend appointments upon request and after hours availability to make sure you get help when you need it.